Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Air Force


Okay, my mother has been told, and the decision has been made.

I plan on joining the U.S. Air Force, hopefully as a linguist.

I intend to go to MEPS (the testing facility) and sign the paperwork sometime this summer, and if all goes well, leave for basic in January of next year. AF basic is in San Antonio, and Katie, my best friend and a Dallas native, says the dead of winter is the best time to go there. That way, I can be around for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and go to basic while the weather is in the 50-degree range. Which I hear it will be in January. Crazy Texans.

After that, I go to technical school, where they train me for my job. Hopefully, I'll be heading out to Monterey, California, where the Defense Language Institute (DLI) is located. I could be there for six months to two years, depending on what language they want me to learn. More will come on that after I, you know, join.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep doing my research and talking to people, but nervous as I am, I still feel confident that this is a good decision for me.

4 comments:

  1. Nothing is official until I've told my mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so did you join the airforce? i found this while looking for the airforce symbol. if you did i wish you best of luck. My mom is in the Air Force. she loves it and we love it. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how hard is training and do you need perfect eye sight?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which training are you asking about? Basic training was certainly difficult, but if a bookworm like me who could only do two pushups going in can make it through, then I think pretty much anybody can. And the only truly difficult part, in my opinion, is the first couple of days; after that, you adjust to it. After that, you have your actual job training, and the difficulty of that depends very much on your actual job.
    As far as eyesight, unless you want to be a pilot, you absolutely do not need perfect eyesight. I myself wear glasses/contacts; they give you a free pair of glasses in basic if you need them, and you get a free pair every year. They don't give you free contacts, but they will write you a prescription. I've also heard they might do free Lasik in some circumstances, but I haven't had it done personally, so I can't attest to that for sure.

    ReplyDelete