Monday, May 18, 2009

Pros and Cons

So like a responsible and very old person, I wrote out a list of pros and cons to joining.

First, the cons:
  1. Potential of going into danger, though the likelihood of that (as a linguist in the Air Force, toward which I'm leaning) is super slim, and I hear about way more people getting hurt from driving while texting than from doing anything in the military.
  2. I would be at the mercy and command of the military, for them to send me where they want me. Although as long as they feed me, house me, and pay me, I'm pretty much okay with that.
  3. I might not get the job I like. This is a possibility. But it's also a huge possibility, and very likely, if I don't join the military and just keep looking for a job.
  4. It is a very serious commitment, and even if I end up hating it, I can't back out. Or if I do, it's a felony. But again, as long as they let me out when they say they will (and stop-loss isn't really big right now, and pretty much never happens in the Air Force), I'm okay with that, too.
  5. I would be away from my family, friends, and boyfriend. And while I get 30 days of leave a year, this will still be true.
  6. They could order me to do something I disagree with morally. Again, unlikely, but again, if I say no, it's a felony.
  7. The physical challenge of basic. I am a pretty small girl. It will be really super crazy hard, even though I'm planning on working out a lot before I leave.
  8. The prejudice against women. I don't think it's as bad as it used to be, nor is it as bad in the Air Force as in, say, the Marines or the Navy Seals, but from what I can gather, it's still a reality.
  9. Along with that, you hear a lot of horror stories about women getting raped and molested by fellow soldiers/airmen/etc. and by superior officers. But I think that mostly happens in combat areas. And while I'm sure it happens elsewhere, the same can be said in civilian life, as well.
And now for the pros:
  1. A sense of personal pride and self-worth.
  2. Gaining the respect of others.
  3. Doing something that matters and is important.
  4. Being part of something bigger than myself.
  5. Learning a trade (whether I get to be a linguist or not).
  6. Job security.
  7. Medical benefits.
  8. Getting to travel, both with work and for free by hopping rides on military craft or for cheap with a military discount.
  9. I would probably get a job I like.
  10. Free housing or housing allowance.
  11. Veteran benefits.
  12. Constant pay with annual raises, no matter what.
  13. Good chance for upward mobility.
  14. Thirty paid days of leave a year, in addition to weekends off (after basic).
  15. Two weeks off for Christmas (unless deployed to Iraq or somewhere dangerous).
  16. If I stay in for ten years, I can give my G.I. Bill benefits to my kids (new policy).
So that's 9 on the con side and 16 on the pro side. And most of the things on the con side are things that might happen, while a majority of the benefits are guaranteed.

I have yet to find evidence that this is not a good idea.

2 comments:

  1. I myself am only thinking of joining (split between air force/navy as well, but only because I need to be able to let go of my deep desire to join the AIRRS since it'd be awful to join a branch where there's only 1 job I want) However, i do have multiple friends in the Air Force and 1 who was in the Navy for about 20 years. The harassment has decreased drastically in those 2 branches, and it's rare cases like what's standard in the civilian world. And the only real biases towards women are a few things - SEALS are only legally allowed to be men, literally federal law prohibits women from even trying to join and some recruits will be biased against women ONLY if they let themselves seem to be the type who make excuses or expect alternate conditions for them because of their gender (which doesn't seem like you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete